The privatised network covering over 6,000 km is managed by 25 motorway operating companies. There are several toll systems :
- The closed system : barriers at the beginning and end of the journey. The cost of the journey is proportional to the distance travelled.
- The open system : the cost of the journey is a fixed sum, regardless of the distance travelled.
- The free-flow system : the toll is collected without barriers.
How is the amount calculated ?
Payment by OBU is mandatory on the Italian network. The amount is calculated based on five criteria :
- Number of kilometres travelled
- Vehicle category
- Price schedule
- Barrier system
- Road characteristics
How does VAT work ?
The Italian toll network is subject to VAT at 22%.
How are discounts calculated ?
Discounts are calculated on the basis of the toll transactions within a full calendar year. The criteria for application vary from one year to another depending on decisions by the Italian state, which manages the discount programme.
An additional 10% discount for night-time transactions also applies on certain networks.
To achieve the Italian toll revenue of €5 million, and become eligible for the higher level of discounts, transport companies have organised themselves into Consorzios.
Axxès + :
Membership of the Axxès Consorzio :
- All your Italy data (transactions, OBUs, invoices) accessible via your customer portal
- Request a quote